My second plane children had so much fun leading a Wings of Fire Book Club last summer, and this year they decided to do it again with the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
The girls looked through the book and decided to split it into 9 meetings of 2 chapters each (except for the last meeting, which was just one chapter). They decided that Lila would be in charge of writing the discussion questions and leading that part of each meeting, and Nora would be in charge of choosing the craft/activity for each meeting and leading that.
To view the discussion questions Lila wrote, click here.
Nora & I scoured the internet for appropriate Harry Potter activities, and she decided which one would go with which chapters. The activities she planned:
- Chapters 1&2: make a Hogwarts Trunk/keepsake box out of a shoebox
- Chapters 3&4: make an owl paper plate craft
- Chapters 5&6: take a Sorting Hat quiz to find out which Hogwarts house you belong to
- Chapters 7&8: make Potions slime
- Chapters 9&10: make a Hogwarts House pencil holder
- Chapters 11&12: draw yourself as a witch or wizard
- Chapters 13&14: make a dragon egg craft
- Chapters 15&16: practice casting spells
- Chapter 17: make your own Sorcerer’s Stone
Each week, the kids met via Google Meet to discuss that week’s chapters and then do a craft or activity. They would all share their completed crafts with the others at the end of the meeting, and it was so fun to see everyone’s creations!
For the very last Harry Potter meeting, we will do a Harry Potter Escape Room. There are so many online, but some of them are super difficult for this age level. We settled on this slightly easy one and this slightly difficult one, and we’ll do both of them tonight!